The Importance of Interview Preparation
A successful interview starts with preparation. A great candidate will prepare well before the interview to conduct research on the company and understand the position and the culture of the organization. Preparation helps you to feel more in control and allows you to ensure that you are able to effectively discuss your skillset as it relates to the position while leaving a lasting positive impact for the employer as to why they should hire you. Browse through the resources and tips on this page to help you hone your interview skills.
Interview Preparation Steps
- Research the company, and your interviewer, prior to the interview. Use LinkedIn, internet search and the company website to learn as much as you can about the company.
- Complete the interview preparation checklist and align your skills to the job description.
- Review your completed most common interview question sheet with your answers prior to each interview.
- Review your relevant work, educational and volunteer accomplishments. Note the relevant items to the role you are applying for and add them to your interview checklist.
- Prepare interview questions to ask the interviewer.
- Prepare for the day of the interview. Know the route you will take and plan to arrive 15 minutes early. Review the names of the interviewers.
- Follow-up after the interview. Complete a thank you note within 24 hours of the interview.
Interview Preparation Resources
Interview Prep Questions
Example Thank You Letters
- Indeed: Top Interview Tips: Common Questions, Body Language & More (4:57)
- What to Wear for a JOB Interview/Career Planning Series (4:36)
- Howdini: Job Interview Tips – Job Interview Questions and Answers (4:28)
- Howdini: Job Interview Tips – How to Prepare for a Job Interview
- YouTube Video: STAR Interview Technique with Questions and Answers (PASS) (4:22)
- YouTube Video: Competency Questions & the S.T.A.R. Technique (3:19)
- YouTube: What is your greatest weakness? Dan Lok (3:11)
- How to Answer, “Tell Me About Yourself” Jobspeaker (4:25)
- YouTube site with several videos regarding interview tips: The Interview Maestro